Friday, March 25, 2011

Service Learning Log #3

Activism
            At the end of last week, my partner and I met Maria Roman (who was very encouraging) and she signed our service learning agreement. On Sunday, Lindsay made a preliminary flyer and e-mailed it to me and I made changes for creative effect, etc. On Monday, we each printed twenty five flyers and posted them in virtually every building at UCF (bathrooms, boards, etc.). I sent an e-mail to Maria Roman asking her to forward our flyer to prospective donators, texted all of my friends, and sent e-mails to students in two of my women-related classes. Lindsay posted the event on the YWLP Facebook page and she is going to ask her mother if any of her co-workers would like to donate as well.
            We tabled every day from Tuesday to Friday for 2.5 hours or more (1:30-4:00 P.M.). On Tuesday, we made the poster and every consecutive day we increased the display on our table based on our personal supplies and donations. Overall, as the week progressed, we received more and more donations. Alexa Nelen gave us the most supplies/donations of the week. I also had other friends donate money and I am extremely appreciative that they were able to support me. Moneywise, we made $12.59. Next week, we will table one or two more times and then we will be done with our fundraising efforts.
Reflection
            Our efforts this week relate to the chapter this week’s chapter because it is considered unproductive labor. The textbook states, “…unpaid work is defined as unproductive labor” (Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 305). Moreover, Leith Mullings states that there are, “four kinds of women’s work in the United States… volunteering in community organizations, professional groups, and clubs of all kinds” (Kirk and Okazawa-Rey 305). These two quotes culminate in the idea that because we are fundraising and we are not being paid, that we are not contributing to the economy (GNP). However, we are raising funds and supplies for middle school girls so that they will be able to contribute to society and the economy. Therefore, we are indirectly contributing to the economy of the future.
            This week, I realized that work is work and should always be counted. No matter if that work is cleaning dishes or making a major business deal, effort and will power is involved and keeps society going.
            YWLP would definitely disagree with the book’s assumptions. I believe that the foundation of the program tries to create women who believe that all work contributes to the economy in some way and that we are all “productive” human beings.
Reciprocity
            From this experience, I definitely feel empowered to achieve change in society. By calling on the community to aid these young women, I see the power within myself to set and reach goals. Also, I have always loved fundraising and showing my personality for a cause. I feel that this project has helped me realize how fortunate I am to have a great base that has supported all of my dreams. From a feminist perspective, some girls are not given this and YWLP facilitates a healthy place for these girls to be nurtured and grow as individuals. One thing about this experience that is worth noting was the misogynistic overtones of the music outside of the Student Union and the sexist views of fellow fundraisers. It makes me realize how my women-related classes have opened my eyes and have allowed me to view the world in a vastly different way.
Works Cited
Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women’s Lives: Multicultural Perspectives 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010. Print.
Word Count: 581

1 comment:

  1. Sarina,
    I am glad you are so encouraged by the program. Great job!

    ReplyDelete